Friday, January 28, 2011

Soloing

This is the term when you're working the whole line alone. I've been doing this a lot recently, as January is usually a slow month for restaurants. Soloing tends to have a strange effect on people. It makes them grumpy, but not mad. They get blunt, rough, direct, and often yell incoherently for no reason. People have limits when soloing. This refers to the amount of covers they can handle by themselves at once. The intensity gets more severe the closer to the limit. I sit around eight, if there aren't serious modifiers. Kitchen people come to expect that if you're alone in the kitchen, crazy shit happens. I've told my boss once to "get your fucking head out of your ass and fix these chits" when certain requests weren't getting through or were forgotten when the order was punched in. The perfect picture for someone on line is a hamster on coke, with random battle cries.

Soloing tomorrow from 10 to 6. Should be fun

Lunch today: Kangaroo with spicy pesto, carrot caliente

1 comment:

  1. I once worked as a cook, waitress, bartender and gas pumper for boats at a small place on Lake Austin. It was restaurant, game room, bar, dock for boats and about 15 motel rooms. One Sunday morning we had some trail riders, drunks on horses..yeah!...they all came staggering in about 50 of them hung over and hungry..the orders were piling up so fast(the wheel was full) that I was about to run screaming out of the place. They would hit the bell when they brought their order to me..I finally snapped and grabbed the bell ran to the end of the dock and thru that sucker into the middle of the lake, went in the dining room and yelled at the top of my lungs.."there is only one of me back there mother fuckers, if you want fast service go up the road and go to McDonalds.".. no one said a word.

    ReplyDelete