Saturday, January 22, 2011

Scratch

Everything done in the restaurant is done from scratch. the sauces, the toppings, the sides, everything. Today I did onion rings. My girlfriend always says "to make something from scratch, you must first create the universe." I took a few liberties with the rings. I didn't grow them or mill the flour ourselves. but other than that, I did everything. After working on these for four hours, I got to hear from one of the servers that a family came half-way across Canada just to eat here. Suddenly, the monotonous act of onion rings seemed a little more bad ass. Oh, and we made the top 10 list for restaurants in the city.

Rings recipe:
  • 20 lbs onion rings
  • 6L buttermilk
  • salt
  • pepper
  • paprika
  • onion powder
  • garlic powder
  • breadcrumbs
  • flour
cut onions into rings, dredge in flour, dunk in seasoned buttermilk, cover in breadcrumbs. deep fry at 350.

Lunch today: tomato sandwich with bacon, ale and cheddar soup.

2 comments:

  1. your mom sent me...I'm glad she did..I'm also getting hungry..are the breadcrumbs seasoned?..

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, don't season the breadcrumbs, season the buttermilk batter. It'll be over seasoned if you do both. If you do just the crumbs, then it'll separate in the deep fry oil and salt breaks oil down, making a smoky, dirty mess happen a lot faster.

    ReplyDelete